You and I have a lot of things we need to do.
The problem is…
when we should be doing something to get us closer to our goals we get sidetrack and a few minutes later we find ourselves doing something completely different.
Getting sidetrack by shinny objects like the TV, the next book you “have” to read before you take action, the next training video you think you need to take, will not get you more money, more clients, more time with your love ones, bottom line will not get you closer to your end goals.
“Not Your Typical Productivity Advice”
In May 2013 I was asked to teach a “Time Management Class” to a group of military members. I know “the typical time management advice” don’t work with the military, don’t work with todays entrepreneurs and business owners. We live in a complicated world, full of distractions, commitments, and constant changes in technology.
Why typical time management advice don’t work in the military?
- In the military, You can’t simply say NO to your superior
- To my clients, student and even a boss I will say in a heartbeat NO, I can’t do that
- In my business and personal life, I have total contorl over my schedule
- In the military, you are told what to-do, when to do it and sometimes how to do it
3 Reasons Why Traditional
Time Management Don’t Work For You
The typical Time management advice don’t work for busy people, is not for the military, don’t work for entrepreneurs or business owners, and here is why.
- The typical advice is gear towards a specific tool, not you
- It focus in strategies and tactics, not creating new habits
- They want you to do more instead of doing what will get you closer to your end goal
So what can we do to stop wasting time, be ready and closer to the goal each day?
Get Your Personal Productivity System
Your personal productivity system must have two things.
- A place to dump all your ideas, to-do’s, everything that you want to do
- And a place to see everything you HAVE todo at a specific time and date
Click here –> Copy what works…because you don’t need a magic pill or software.
A simple reminder/to-do list and your calendar work just fine.
Let me show you how I use it, I promise you if you do the same it will work for you.
Your Reminders and To-do List
Your reminders and to-do list is for you to dump everything, your ideas, what you want to-do one day. Is the place you look when you need to to-do something that is not in your calendar, is the place you look when you are doing your life plan review, or reviewing your priorities, goals or what you are going to do next week.
Having access anywhere is not just for reading what you have to-do, it is important if you need to dump a new idea, a new to-do, a new reminder. DOn’t tell me you waiting to get home to write it down?
Besides using my reminders and to-do list to dump my ideas, I use it to reminder me of things I should be doing every day. Things like:
- Doing 50 push-ups and 50 sit-ups
- Posting a link from an old blog post
- Contact one person from my leads
Basically anything that I know is important for me to do, but I don’t have to-do at a specific time. I let the reminders in my to-do list to remind me. The key here is, if you can’t do it when the reminders pop-up snooze it, don’t dismiss it.
How To Use Your Calendar Correctly
3 things things to keep in mind when blocking time.
- Plan you day in advance and the best you can
- Block fun time first then what will get you closer to your goal
- If you can delegate it, should not be in your calendar
Take a look at your calendar right now. Is a snapshot of what you are going to do. Is not what you want to-do, that’s what your reminder and to-do list is for. Your calendar needs to have the things that you will do at a specific date and time.
3 things I put in my calendar:
- Business Meetings
- Personal Appointments
- Gym time
The key here is to start your day know what you are going to do, the morning off is not the time for you to review your to-do list.
Automate anything you can before delegating your process.
I use Amazon save and subscribe to auto-ship things I need and we use in the house. This alone saves me a ton of time and money.
For my business marketing I use Aweber to automate my email follow-up and callLoop to automate voice and text messaging follow-up
Delegate any task you don’t have to do.
And of course limit your distractions, stay focus on the task in hand.
Take advantage of your down time.
- Respond to emails while in a waiting line.
- Listen to audio books or podcast while driving.
Tools I use to help my productivity
- HootSuite – to schedule, review, and respond to Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin
- Evernote – to organize, write and access ideas, articles i’m going to write, books I will publish, receipts and other business and personal information
- Dropbox – to store and automatically backup all my important files in my computer. I also have specific folders for people helping me in a specific project.
- Feedly – to quickly scan and then read what I want to read from the websites I follow
Do you have a question that you like to ask me? Please contact me.
Call in your questions or comments to our new, fancy “request line” at (702) 789-7545 or click here to leave a message on my Voicemail Page
And if you enjoy the podcast, I would consider it a great favor if you subscribe (and leave a review) in iTunes. This helps new people discover the podcast.
Next time, when you’re tempted to procrastinate, consider what that borrowed time will really cost you when it comes down to crunch time.
What is stopping you?
Write below, in the comments what is stopping you from applying this framework and see how you can get closer to what you want in life.