Measuring matters, you can learn a lot from really looking at your business key performance indicators.
Key Performance Indicators
Running your business requires your time and attention, which make it difficult to spent time elsewhere like.
- Social media marketing
- Content creation for your website
- Gathering key performance indicators
The list goes on and on, the challenge business owners have is that if you don’t measure these key performance indicators your business can fall into disrepair quickly if these “things” are left alone. Measuring helps get things back on track.
- Make a list of what can be measure.
- Write today’s key performance indicator numbers.
- Compare today’s performance with last month.
- Make an improvement action plan.
Step 1: Make a list
List all your social media profiles
List all you social media profiles on a piece of paper, word document, spreadsheet, evernote, what ever you use to document your data and start writing. You want to write it down to keep it all organized and to give you a string point for future improvements.
As you list your profiles, keep track of your URL, your profile name and description, and number of followers or fans.
- Instagram – https://instagram.com/angelfanderson/
- Pinterest – https://www.pinterest.com/angelfanderson/
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/angelfanderson
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/angelfanderson
- YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/user/AngelAndersonVideos/
Step 2: Write today’s numbers
After you finish listing all your social media profiles, you want to get today’s numbers. After all you can’t improve if you don’t measure.
- How many twitter followers you have today?
- How many Facebook fans you have today?
See how many more followers you have. You can also track mentions, and retweets.
See how your audience has grown over time by using Facebook’s page insights. You can also track reach.
Step 3: Compare with previous numbers
Next is to compare your previous numbers with today’s number.
Do you see an increase or decrease?
If you see an increase, do more of what is working and try one new strategy. Next time you run the numbers you can compare if the new strategy help or not.
If you see a decrease in performance, make an action plan to improve.
Step 4: Make an improvement action plan
If your numbers increased you ant to add one strategy as your action improvement plan. If you add more than one you will not have a clear picture on which strategy was the one that cause the increase or decrease next time you measure.
If your number decrease you want ask why.
- It is because of not enough post?
- It is because I’m posting too much?
- It is because I’m posting the wring updates?
- Do I need to post more images?
- Do I need to post more videos?
Just like anything you want to improve in your business, social media can be affected by one single factor. This is the challenging part for a lot of people. Take the time to clarify what’s going one and identify any bottlenecks.
That should give you a starting point for your improvement plan.
Taking the time to measure your performance on the weekly, monthly or yearly basis will can help you find ways to improve your return on investment.
If you think you don’t have the time to do this task, don’t push it to the side because it is important. Use a service like FancyHands to help you get it done instead.
P.S. If you liked this post, you might enjoy my Blog newsletter. Receive each new post delivered right to your inbox. Sign up here.